How to Sell Stocks in TD Ameritrade
Please follow the steps below to sell stocks in TD Ameritrade.
- Open the website.
- Log in with your user ID and password.
- Now you need to answer the security question.
- Once you answer the security question, click on Continue.
- Once you are logged in, you will see several options at the upper part of the screen. Click on the option that says My Account.
- Then you will see several options from the drop-down list. Click on the option that says Positions.
- Now you will see a section for Stocks. For instance, if you choose Verizon which the symbol is VZ, click on the symbol of the company you want to sell.
- After that, you will see a red button that says Sell.
- Click on Sell.
- Now you have to enter the required information on the lower part of the screen. First, enter the quantity of the stock you will sell. Make sure that the stock is correct.
- Choose the order time by clicking the drop-down arrow, then you will see several options. For example: I choose the Order type market. Just click on the order type that you wish to select.
- Select the type in force and then the Tax Lot ID Method. For example, I choose the first and first out method. Click on the Tax Lot ID method you wish to select.
- If done, click on the Review Order button at the lower right side of the screen.
- Now you will see the review order section at the lower part of the screen.
- If everything looks good, click on the Place Order button.
- And now you will see a message that your market order was received.